Thursday, October 13, 2005

Sound of Silence

Not so long ago, I had a discussion with a friend of mine about Silence.
Silence of mind … The power of silence..

Silence of mind, I was told is the most effective way of concentration and self realization!
I decided to experience it! I started with a positive outlook trying my level best to rule out any pessimistic vibe that came along!
I precisely tried to “practice” Silencing of mind once a day for the past 4 days!
This is how it came out..


First 5 mins…
I sit with the aim of achieving silence..
Outcome……
I found two thought streams.. both of which I channelised towards the Silence!.
...end of 5 minutes


Next 5 mins…..

I aim at establishing the silence..That was seemingly near..
Outcome….
I m at war with a huge wave of questions

End of 10 minutes..


Next 5 mins

I aim removing these questions ..but a thought prevails.. and I decide to face them; answer them all in one go before I proceed any further.

Outcome…
I m busy searching for answers and apprising my deeds
End of 15 mins

Thats it!
My voyage in search for silence has to break for the day!
Next day same thing continues, of course, with a different set of questions!

I had one good thing about this entire experience… the questions that I faced where those I have not bothered or have not answered or did not chose to answer!
It made me think over and again about few issues and resolve few issues!

Well still, if this is the music of silence…
Then the melody of silence is definitely lost in the gory of the lyrics called thoughts!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey suha ..
i personally know how loud ur thooughts can be..
so htis silencing will never work neither for ur mind nor for ur mouth.. so free ya vidu!
cheers
Ragavi...
btw...i jus came to know recently dat u blog!
nice job!

Arbit said...

This may be a little technical, but it could help your cause :)
There are three ways that I can recollect by which you can achieve the goal of silencing one's mind..

1) Anna panna sathi(not sure of the spelling) : Observe your breath while you inhale and exhale.As you are in this process, your mind becomes more sharp and soon enough you would be experiencing some sort of serenity...you would observe things around you more intensely than you would normally do(example:the sound of a cricket, which would normally be a background score, would come to life as a distinct sound)..Ofcourse practice is essential for effective results.

2) The second method is to observe gaps between thoughts..Gaps meaning periods of silence which is what you want. You focus on gaps and not the thoughts..soon enough you could with certainity pinpoint to a period in the timeline when you felt no thoughts cross your mind..this method is a little tougher as it requires some amount of focus and effort.

3) The third method is where you try to be a passive spectator to your thoughts..thoughts come in and go out of the mind..but you got nothing to do with it..let the thoughts rush through your mind initially,they will fallout eventually for want of audience!!
...you watch the mind play its game..this is considered the best way to silencing the mind.

The Ignoramus said...

I too agree...third is the best way, which would give you lasting results.

Anonymous said...

didn't you fall asleep during this exercise of silencing the mind??

pushkalAn& pattabhiraman said...

wimpy..
no yaaar.. smehow ..the thoughts kept me awake..

NaiKutti said...

whichever way u choose, it needs some patience... try it for a while (probbly weeks/months)and am sure u would hit the power of silence... its difficult its something we rarely experience in normal routine...