Wednesday, October 12, 2005

SELF ESTEEM...VICE or VIRTUE??

Self Esteem…..EGO

I was led to think about this quintessential aspect by one of good friends!
How important is Self esteem?
What is Self esteem??
Is it accepting oneself as he is!
Is it loving oneself for whatever he is!
Is it taking pride in whatever he is!
Well, I always believed Self esteem is having pride in whatever u are!
Well, there is absolutely nothing wrong in being happy and proud about urself..but it largely depends on the persistence on word “self”.
Too much of persistence on the “SELF ESTEEM” factor breeds “EGO”
It requires a balanced head to take on Self Esteem and wipe out EGO.
But Ego, once rooted, is hard to remove!
Ego invariably is the cause for almost all problems!
With such a potential risk at hand, is it viable sustain a degree of SELF ESTEEM!
Indirectly is not out attachment to the word “SELF ESTEEM” causing the problems!

Well in the same tone..
Why should I be so bothered about what every other person I meet thinks about me.
Why am I so conscious about what others think about me rather than what I think about myself!
Is the child in me still learning the way of the world?
I always believed humility is the best virtue. Today I heard humility plus Self Esteem is the best way to lead life!

Maybe I was wrong all these days!
Maybe I must nurture self Esteem to a greater degree!!
But am I mature enough to evade EGO???

4 comments:

The Ignoramus said...

But am I mature enough to evade EGO???

What if you are not? Are you going to stop trying to be aware of your ego-self? Awareness is the first step. Be aware of your ego-self, and that in itself will give you maturity, which will further enable you to be more aware. A positive feedback mechanism is in place, which will finally help you.

NaiKutti said...

Humility may still be the best way... once u say self esteem, that brings in the EGO...

prosaicblabber said...

Nice post..

But I sincerely feel you've got things mixed up.. Man is a social being ... he has been trained to live in a community..it becomes really hard for him to break away and "look at himself". Have you ever tried it? I feel self esteem is a relative word used in a community and the inkling feeling of self is "ego".. they are 2 different things... whoever said ego is bad? it is so, only if it affects another feeling of self... and I guess this is what is humility.. keeping the feeling of self to yourselves... once it gets into the open ... thats "pride"... well this can go on..

you've given a lot to think about... nice post once again...

Karthigeyan said...

Self esteem is the opinion you have of yourself. It is based on your attitude to the following:

"How you think others see you"

this thinking makes you to ask few further questions and your subconcious mind prepares the answer for it....

You value urself as a person based on how others think of you.

your confidence builds on the value u get on yourself

you value the importance of the job you do based on how others think of you

Your independence or ability to stand on your own feet depends on the job you do

Your potential for success depends on the independence you have

Your strengths and weaknesses is decided by your potential to success

Your achievements will depends on the strength and weakness you have


Your purpose in life has a meaning on the achivements you get

Your place in the world is decided by the purpose of your life

Your social status and how you relate to others is decided by your place in the world

So self esteem is important...

the difference between self esteem and ego is...

making others think good of you is self esteem and how the hell he can think low of me is the ego!!!