Saturday, April 07, 2007

Old.Bold..Cold Attitude!

Talk of getogethers, there happens a jambooree of Relatives. Very Innocent Kiddos to ripe 80 year old maaamis. Having been a such a fun recently, lot of things ran across my mind forcing me to pen them here!

The attitude of the youngsters towards elders struck me hard. I m no Miss.PATIENT, MISS.TOLERANT types but I always insist on a quality called ENDURANCE. Elders predominantly fall into three categories: they are either too conservative to accept our views or too rigid with theirs or they are open to our ideas.. but one can never take them for granted , you would never know how they would react!
I m not being judgemental about the beloved PAATI THAATAs at our home! They are truely a treasure! But is our attitude conveying the message that we Value them.
For once, Not everything could be understood implicitly, there are few things that have to be told and Elders need things to be told to them.
They could be annoying or at times even irritating but believe me more patient our approach is, more learnings will happen from their end.
I m going to visit a OLD AGE home today. I m doing this against my policy of NEVER TO ENCOURAGE OLD AGE HOMES... but today i feeel, they need a patient ear and may be one or two considerate words!! Even now I start half heartedly....I just hope i have a peaceful sleep tonight!

(This is the only Post in this blog where i have literally lamented my first PERSONAL Thoughts! Oooops... i need an Outlet ( N' Blog serves the purpose) and so do the countless old ppl in the home ( N' hope i serve the purpose today!) ... I just realised it and i m heading there!! )



cheers
Push!

7 comments:

Naren said...

"NEVER TO ENCOURAGE OLD AGE HOMES"
why? :o

"..i need an Outlet.."
Doesn't everyone need one? :)]

Finally, endurance does have limits!

Suchi said...

The seniors are also people, minds with a certain mindset, pots that cannot be moulded anymore.Their experience need not be a lesson, it can just make you think. After a conversation with my paati (she's 82)I have to question myself VERY stringently to analyze my beliefs, and justify what I stand by.

Old people may be a pain in the neck sometimes...there are some things that they don't understand. (Like there are some things WE don't) I'm talking perspectives here. But whatever it is, difference of opinion is no reason to be rude. Not even when the person at the other end is old, infirm, not earning.

Personally, I am glad I get to interact with my grandparents: my maternal paati's 82, the wisest and most rational woman one can find. A great inspiration. My paternal grandparents (who live with us), both of them in their nineties. Differences of opinions exist, true. But there's the fact that they are people too, peoplewho will be nothing but themselves.

On the question of old age homes, there are a lot of parents I know who prefer to keep themselves away from their children after a certain point. Too much nearness can strain the relationship, is what they feel. In a Home, they get the company of people of the same age, TV with the remote control in their hands, meals on time, refreshment, exercise and medical attention. If there is no bitterness involved, why not this option?

pushkalAn& pattabhiraman said...

Gud one Suchi...

NAren.. i m sure .. ur endurance with my typos is gna break mightily one day!

Dwaraka said...

ripe 80 year

pazhutha kezham'a illati kezhattu pazham'a? :-)

pushkalAn& pattabhiraman said...

ripe 80 year

pazhutha kezham'a illati kezhattu pazham'a? :-)


Inda comment inda context la inda words ku varanumae nu edirparthaen... Dwaraka .. u made it!!!


Cheers
Pushy!

RA said...

Ah, good to see you have not changed. You know, it is a real good habit that you show a great deal of respect to your elders and senior citizens. The world could do better to have a lot more people like you. All the more reason because i am not like you. i.e, in respecting older people.

Well, before i get condemned to hell, i would like to state my reasons. Being old does not entitle one to be respected. Respect has nothing to do with seniority. And all that 'worldly experience' that seniors are supposed to have, account for nothing at all. It is what one does with all that experience that matters. It is their value to others that accounts for anything at all.

One can be 50,60,70,80,90 or 100 and more, but i believe we shouldn't respect them just on account of their age. If they are of some use to others, if they are of some value to others, to the society, then we should give them the highest respect. If this is the case, it does not matter if the 'elders' are conservative, rigid, or are not open to ideas. We must have the higest regard for them. But then, if they are not of any use to anyone, or if they are not of any value to others, or to society, then i really do not see any reason to show them even a smidgen of respect. All that age, all that 'experience' is insignificant when it is not used for good.

yours truly,
Ar'Nath

pushkalAn& pattabhiraman said...

Abhi....nice to seee even you have not changes a bit....!